Text Size

Stardrive

The Destiny of the Universe
A radical reformulation of quantum mechanics suggests that the universe has a set destiny and its pre-existing fate reaches back in time to influence the past. It could explain the origin of life, dark energy and solve other cosmic conundrums.

This is not incompatible with Darwinian natural selection, but an intervention as we are now doing with genetic engineering.

Cap'n Jack Sarfatti Synthetic life could aid space explorationhttp://bit.ly/biBDsr

Jose Ruben Rodriguez Fuentes an Jonathan Vos Post find this pleasin' to the eye.


Christa Herzog I had a look at the article. Makes good sense. But can "life" be synthetic????

Jack Sarfatti Of course life can be synthetic. We are simply nano-machine complexes - the soul/mind is a macro-quantum coherent Bohm quantum potential field with signal nonlocality (the elan vital so to speak). Indeed, good chance we are all synthetic AI designed by our future selves in a loop in time. Even beyond that, we may be retro-causal hologram images of the VALIS "Black Cloud" conscious computer on our future dark energy event horizon.

Sep 22


On Sep 21, 2010, at 4:28 PM, nick herbert wrote:
Fantastic, Jack.
Now where's the Heisenberg Choice that magnifies the power of remote viewing by factor of 1000?

Hey Nick

Why don't you ask Ed Witten and Polchinski to predict the data from the LHC?
What you ask is like asking Einstein in 1905 to design a nuclear reactor.

The finding of the precise nanometer scale machine inside the human nervous system/brain that is the transducer between the matter field classical configurations and their macro-quantum coherent  (super) Bohm potential Q* is multi-disciplinary and I do not know enough biology etc to solve it. It requires a massive effort, some of which I saw at the recent Singularity Summit e.g. work of Anita Goel.

I only make three points here

1) we need signal nonlocality i.e. the elan vital (so to speak) is a violation of quantum theory!

2) we need P.W. Anderson's "More is different" AKA spontaneous symmetry breaking in the ground state of the relevant matter degrees of freedom --> Josephson type robust long-range phase coherence in order parameters of boson condensates in pumped dissipative structures.

3) the key consciousness-matter transducer must couple a negative to a positive ambient body temperature, therefore, the information transduction between mind Q* and matter (hidden variable) will be very efficient greater than 100% in terms of two positive temperatures.

Technology Review: TR35: Anita Goel, 32
Physicist and physician Anita Goel finds inspiration in the tiny: the proteins that inch their way along DNA, reading and copying the genes inside every ...
www.technologyreview.com/tr35/Profile.aspx?TRID=97












Sep 21

Saul-Paul Sirag Lecture on M/String Theory

Posted by: JackSarfatti |
Tagged in: Untagged 


On Sep 21, 2010, at 10:16 AM, Saul-Paul and Mary-Minn Sirag wrote:

Hi Nick,

The original string theory of 1970 was an attempt to model the miraculous Veneziano amplitude function (1968), which obeyed 6 of 7 of the principles of the S-Matrix approach to the strong nuclear force. This was in the context of the fierce struggle between the S-Matrix school, led by Chew (at Berkeley) and the Quark school, led by Gell-Mann (at Caltech). By 1973, when asymptotic freedom was discovered by Wilczek, Gross, and Politzer, quantum chromodynamics (the QCD of the Quark school), the string model went into  nearly total eclipse. However, QCD has not been able to calculate many mass spectra. These are mainly experimental measurements using QCD as background theory.

There were three big embarrassments for the 1970 string model:

    1. It only worked in 26 dimensions.

why? To eliminate a tachyon?

    2. It could only model bosons, and therefore only mesons (as a string vibrating between charges at its ends). So fermions such as protons and neutrons could not be accounted for.

    3. It contained a massless spin2 as a necessary ingredient.

Of course, that would be good for Abdus Salam's f-meson model that I worked on at ICTP, Trieste in 1973-4 at his invitation. Yukawa gravity scale fermi 10^40 Gnewton ~ SU3 QCD? e.g. / ^2 static potential in first approx where / ~ 1/(1 fermi)^2 explains both quark confinement and asymptotic freedom trivially.

By 1971, supersymmetry was invoked in order to bring fermions into the string picture. This superstring theory had the effect of cutting the space-time dimensionality to 10 -- with hopes of reduction to 4-d.  In 1974, after QCD took over strong-force modeling, a couple of physicists woke up and said, "We have known for a long time what a massless spin2 particle is: the graviton. So superstring theory should be regarded as a primarily a quantum gravity theory.

Again I think this is superficial since it's much better to go directly to the Dirac square root level - i.e. spin 1 LIF tetrad & spin connection Cartan 1-form fields. These are obviously renormalizable because of 't Hooft's work. You get back to spin 2 in same way you recover Femi's 4-spinor beta decay from the SU2 W meson gauge theory.

Hardly anyone paid attention to this superstring-gravity idea; but several physicists developed point-particle supersymmetry models of quantum gravity. This is called supergravity, and the main breakthrough calculations occurred in 1976.  

[Nick, you and I heard about this from your friend Heinz Pagels even before the papers came out.]

Supergravity can be modeled in dimensions ranging up to 11-d supergravity. Note: 11-d supergravity entails the symmetries of E7 Lie algebra. I got involved with the structure of E7 by way of the McKay correspondence, which makes a profound duality between the Octahedral Double group and E7.

 
    See details in my 1993 paper at   http://williamjames.com/Theory/Consciousness.pdf

In 1984 John Schwarz and Michael Green, through anomaly cancellation (via certain gauge groups), showed that superstring theory is a viable quantum gravity theory.

What does this mean? "viable" because they have a massless spin 2 quantum? That does not seem enough to make the claim they do. At this point I invoke Nick's "Talk is cheap." ;-)

This revived string theory from it's 10 year eclipse! Soon there were 5 competing superstring theories. The heterotic string theory created by the Princeton String Quartet was especially favored since its gauge group, E8 x E8, provided a way to embed all the gauge theories of the standard model of particle physics and also the grand unified theory gauge group SU(5). 

Meanwhile several British physicists were toying with the possibility of generalizing the string (1-d) to membranes (2-d to 9-d). Also various dualities were discovered between the 5 competing string theories.

This is all very pretty mathematically no doubt, but here Nick's general remarks about experimental testing become paramount - will the LHC provide tests? Or will standard model local gauge field approach work just fine? Will cosmic rays provide tests?

In 1995 Ed Witten put all these ideas and some of his own together to propose an overarching M-theory as a profound unification of all the string theories. In effect we then would have one string theory. A further consequence of M-theory is that its lower energy limit theory is the old (1970s) 11-d supergravity (a point particle theory). Of course, given my interest in E7 (entailed in 11-d supergravity), I am very happy with this M-theory development.

But it is also said there is no real M-Theory only fragments and hopes - what about those claims? Happy? How? You mean the mathematics? Where is the contact with observations? What does M-Theory explain & predict beyond the Standard Particle Model especially QCD in the hands of Wilzcek et-al? What might M-Theory explain?

Incidentally, in July of this year, Ed Witten was given the Newton prize in London. His hour long lecture (for a general audience) was videotaped and is available on the Web at:


    http://physicsworld.com/blog/2010/07/witten_lecture_online.html 


    The miraculous twists and turns of the "Long Strange Trip" of string theory is well described by Witten in this lecture.

OK thanks will look.

On the general issue of string theory predictions, I suggest that you should read Joe Polchinski's review of the books by Lee Smolin and Peter Woit. This review was put on the web as a blog. I will attach it here:

    < JoePolchinski-ReviewsSmolin&Woit-7Dec06.pdf>

Thanks - will read.

There were many comments to this Polchinski review: and they are contained the blog post. Most interesting to me was #23 by Tony Smith, who pointed out that in 1983 Polchinski, Wise, and Alvarez-Gaume (Nuc. Phys. B221, 495-523) in the context of supergravity theory, actually predicted a surprisingly large mass for the top quark (125 - 195 GeV). This was when the top quark was believed to have a mass of around 40 GeV (as was indeed claimed as an experimental measurement by Carlo Rubbia at CERN). When the top quark was finally detected at Fermilab in 1995, it was (very surprisingly) measured to be within the range predicted in 1983 by Polchinski et al.! (See also p. 369 of Polchinski's book, "String Theory" (Vol. II), 1998, Cambridge.)

OK that's interesting for sure. What does QCD predict for that - or is it a free parameter in QCD? If so, then that's a Gold Star for string theory.

Witten's lecture emphasizes that the grand vistas of mathematics and physics afforded by the many twists and turns of string theory is far from the complete picture -- which is still opaque to us.

I invoke the Rule of Law, if we are to be tolerant of the shaky ground of M/string theory, so must we be tolerant of the similar situation in consciousness physics research since the former has many powers of ten more funding than the latter and does not have to deal with the smears of physicists who work in the latter.

I believe that string theory should be viewed as a structure within the vastness of the full set of A-D-E Coxeter graph classifications and correspondences (which by now entail more than 20 mathematical structures of great importance in physics). Accordingly, I have been advocating what I call ADEX-theory, which I define as the study and applications of all the A-D-E correspondences. See my short paper, "ADEX dimensions", which I will attach here:

As I have said before: On the extra dimensions of space-time (forced on us by string theory): these have been an embarrassment to most physicists; but to those open to the paranormal, these extra dimensions should be viewed as an embarrassment of riches.

All for now;)

Saul-Paul

----------------------------

 On Sep 20, 2010, at 10:30 PM, nick herbert wrote:

The original goal of string theory
was to explain the various masses
of elementary particles as excitations of a string oscillating in many dimensions.

How many published mass spectra
have been published by battalions
of string theorists?

Sep 21

The Thermodynamics of Consciousness

Posted by: JackSarfatti |
Tagged in: Untagged 

I woke up in the wee hours with a startling revelation due to Nick Herbert's facetious prodding.

There is no mind-matter "hard problem" even in terms of David Chalmer's criteria (Sci Am 1995 or so). It was solved implicitly by Henry Stapp's Whiteheadian approach that the world intrinsically divides into "thoughtlike" and "rocklike" things. Bohm's split into the (super) quantum potential Q and the classical matter field configurations/particle trajectories (AKA hidden variables) is the obvious way to go.

(super) Q = qubit intrinsic "mental" field.

It is objective, physical, generally in configuration space, form/context dependent, immediate - all the spooky telepathic psychokinetic stuff automatically built in except for "consciousness" - qualia.

However, Bohm and Hiley (BH) implicitly solved the "qualia" problem in their book The Undivided Universe with their comments on the "two-way relation" between Q and the hidden variables with classical trajectories.

BH point out that signal locality, no-cloning, unitarity, irreducible local quantum randomness etc. are simply from the TEST PARTICLE approximation familiar from General Relativity's geodesic postulate (or theorem from Infeld et-al) that there is no direct back-action of the hidden variable on its piloting Q.

As soon as you put in the back-action you have a new ball game - a self-organizing feedback control loop, nonlinear, non-unitary and able to prevent the approach to thermal equilibrium when there is an external pump like in a laser above threshold, e.g. Frohlich's electric dipole pumped membrane model.

Quite obviously, you don't have to be a rocket scientist, or have an IQ much over say 120, to see that the matter configurations are where the classical signals are - the sensory inputs of the nerve impulses, the chemical messengers all the stuff of modern brain science with the imaging of the living brain, the DNA-RNA, the microtubules, the SETs inside the dimers (Hameroff), ion channels, cortical columns - all of that machinery is for inputs to the phase rigid macro-quantum coherent Q* and outputs from the Q* back to the muscles in a two-way feedback control loop. The only problem is to identify the elementary excitations that condense into the single-particle state that defines the ground state order parameter - a giant quantum local field that is literally the mind field - the Seat of the Soul - us! Guiseppe Vitiello thinks he has done that. Maybe he has, maybe he hasn't. But something along those lines will work. The qualia are simply the imprints of the matter field configuration on the Q* field. What don't you get?

I can't help it if All The King's Men are blind as "they paint by the numbers" and do not see that The King is naked. Physicists & Philofawzers think they think clearly because they aren't especially in this silly "hard problem," which is a pseudo-problem that vanishes once one asks the right question and formulates a more suitable premise.

Now for the coup de grace of last night's vision from Future Higher Intelligence? ;-)

Frohlich showed us that the power input to the electric dipole membrane macro-quantum coherent is inversely proportional to the effective temperature. However, when above threshold "lasing" so to speak the effective temperature is NEGATIVE - more of the N qubits in upper energy state than lower.

Simply plug in Carnot's reversible heat engine formula

Work/Qhot = 1 - Tcold/Thot

Any positive temperature is cold compared to any negative temperature.

Therefore, Tcold ~ body temperture

The consciousness engine operates at an effective negative temperature in contact with ordinary positive temperature reservoir.

Therefore, the total maximal reversible PSYCHOKINETIC efficiency for the qubit field Q* to pilot matter & vice versa is greater than 100% i.e. no heat is dumped into the cold reservoir. Useful work is sucked from both the hot and the cold reservoir. Now in fact there will probably be some irreversibility, but the basic situation is very favorable for efficient two-way transduction of information between mind and matter.



Subject: "Talk is cheap."

That depends on who is talking and what is being said.
IN THE BEGINNING WAS THE WORD.

On Sep 20, 2010, at 10:10 PM, JACK SARFATTI wrote:

PPS - there is no hard problem once one recognizes, as a postulate, that the quantum information field is intrinsically "thoughtlike" (Stapp's term). This obeys Chalmers's criterion. This is analogous to Einstein postulating that the speed of light in vacuum is invariant for all timelike geodesic observers.


On Sep 20, 2010, at 10:06 PM, JACK SARFATTI wrote:

PS A case in point was the way Henry Stapp was treated in Physics Today et-al when he published a paper on retro-PK in Phys Rev A.

On Sep 20, 2010, at 10:04 PM, JACK SARFATTI wrote:

There is no pathetic lack of data. I gave you the references on Libet, Radin, Bierman, PEAR, Global Consciousness Project - all done on a shoestring. Of course, more effort is needed and much of what you suggest below is good. If all the $ wasted on the salaries of string theorists in major universities were put into consciousness research, then, perhaps there would be more progress? ;-)

Also, remember Einstein did General Relativity by pure reasoning. In a similar way, that signal nonlocality is needed to understand consciousness is quite obvious - to my mind at least, if not to yours. However, I am quite happy that you do not agree with Josephson and me on this. History will decide.

Follow the $ Nick. How much has been spent on consciousness research compared to other areas in mainstream science? Also consider the fact, that physicists who dare to come out of the closet on this are smeared as lunatics and crackpots even if they have a Nobel Prize in physics.
While you are at it Nick, where are your NINE TESTS for string theory? ;-)

On Sep 20, 2010, at 9:50 PM, nick herbert wrote:

NICK"S NINE TESTS
FOR A REAL THEORY OF CONSCIOUSNESS

(inspired by a recent paper on consciousness and quantum physics by Yu Shan & Danko Nikolic)

"Physicists must crawl before they can walk."--Jack Sarfatti, excusing the pathetic lack of experimental tests of vague quantum consciousness hypotheses proposed by him and a few others.

Two choices are involved in every quantum measurement--the Heisenberg choice and the Dirac choice. The Heisenberg choice is the PHYSICAL choice (made by man or nature) to deploy a macroscopic object in a particular way. It is called the Heisenberg choice because deploying an object in a particular way (to select out which path info) completely precludes deploying it in a complementary way (to select out which interference sub-class info). The Dirac choice is the irreversible quantum jump that occurs somewhere in the apparatus and brings the experiment to a close. This choice is considered by most physicists to be utterly random--an act of God--and since Dirac was the closest thing to diety on this planet, his name is attached to this choice.--Nick Herbert

The motto of the Royal Society of London, "Nullius in Verba". loosely translated means "Talk is Cheap," Theorists are honored not for their colorful phrases, personalities or press releases but for their successful predictions of natural phenomena, such as Einstein's bold prediction of the three classic consequences of General Relativity. The field of quantum consciousness is still awaiting a Big Mind imaginative enough to tackle the Hard Problem of consciousness and deliver big results. Despite much recent attention to the problem of consciousness by physicists, in my opinion we are not even at the crawling stage of consciousness research, let alone walking upright or preparing to ascend some difficult peaks. By the tough standards we have learned to expect from conventional physics, consciousness physicists are still on their knees, praying for inspiration for the right direction to crawl. The biggest breakthrough in consciousness in the past century was not an idea but the invention of LSD which permits not only monks and meditators a glimpse of the uncharted realms of inner space, but ordinary people as well. In the words of Terence McKenna, now that even bad people can see God, what does this gift impel us to do?

As a big problem, consciousness calls for correspondingly big standards for success. I know not what might satisfy others but, off the top of my head, I propose Nick's Nine Tests for a Real Theory of Consciousness. These tests do not explain already existing phenomena but call for brand-new experiences that might be expected to follow upon a successful (presumably quantum) explanation of the origin and nature of subjective experience.

1. A Heisenberg choice (actual deployment of well-specified physical matter that selects which quantum possibilities are viable) that permits Nick Herbert and his friends to experience a brand-new color.

2. A Heisenberg choice that mimics the effects of LSD. Physics is a more fundamental science than chemistry and should be able to prove it by fundamentally altering human experience in direct ways that don't involve chemistry.

3. A Heisenberg choice that reliably magnifies the power of Puthoff & Targ's Remote Viewing by orders of magnitude in the tradition of physics-based microscopes and telescopes which immensely increased the powers of our physical vision.

4. A Heisenberg choice that magnifies the power of the Radin Effect (also known as Autonomic Presentiment) by orders of magnitude--a development  that would expand human perception (for short distances) backwards in time.

5. A Heisenberg choice that would produce a purely quantum anesthesia. If consciousness is really a quantum effect, we should be able to quench it by  purely quantum-physical means. Professor Hameroff--set your phaser to stun.

6. A Heisenberg choice that would directly link two human minds, verifying James T. Culbertson's Conjecture that the separation that human minds ordinarily experience is a mere biological accident.

7. A Heisenberg choice that would link human minds to the many minds in nature, realizing the Quantum Tantra dream of a radically new and more intimate kind of Quantum Measurement.

8. A Heisenberg choice that puts human minds in touch with the Mind of God--in one dramatic stroke physics could drive all churches out of business, plus all the atheists as well.

9. Show me something brand new. A real theory of consciousness will necessarily be full of surprises.

The reason it's called the Hard Problem of Consciousness is the same reason that the North Face (of the Eiger) is called a difficult ascent. If your theory  can rise above "Talk is cheap"  and manages to pass even one of Nick's Nine Tests, you will be honored forever as one of this world's intellectual giants.

Sep 20

Physics, Good, Bad and Bogus

Posted by: JackSarfatti |
Tagged in: Untagged 


On Sep 20, 2010, at 10:59 AM, nick herbert wrote:


On Sep 20, 2010, at 2:13 AM, Hrvoje Nikolic wrote:

Hi Nick, Yu, and Danko!

I agreed with the first objection by Nick in his first
e-mail, but I would like to make some comments on these
last comments by Nick.


One of the oddest facts about experiments of this kind is that the mere possibility of gaining "which-path" information
will prevent interference from occurring. You do not have to actually carry out the "which-path" observation.

But in order to ACHIEVE the possibility of gaining "which-path" information, you MUST do something PHYSICAL. Namely, you need to put or remove some piece of experimental equipment. It is THIS PHYSICAL
change that makes the physical system different.

There are two choices involved in making a quantum measurement--Sometimes called the Heisenberg choice and the Dirac choice. The Heisenberg choice is the PHYSICAL choice (made by man or nature) to deploy a macroscopic object in a particular way. It is called the Heisenberg choice because deploying an object in a particular way (to select out which path info) completely precludes deploying it in a complementary way (to select out which interference sub-class info). The Dirac choice is the irreversible quantum jump that occurs somewhere in the apparatus and brings the experiment to a close. This choice is considered by most physicists to be utterly random--an act of God, and since Dirac was the closest thing to diety on this planet, his name is attached to this choice.

I agree with Nick on this particular issue above.

Signal nonlocality violation of quantum theory means that information encoded by a sequence of Heisenberg choices on a sequence of pulsed ensembles of pair correlated systems from one end (the sender) will be displayed faithfully, without significant random noise at the other (receiver end) without the need of a correlation analysis to unlock the message. If you want to think of collapse, then the combined Heisenberg-Dirac choices of which eigenstate to output would not be uncontrollable as Bohr posited. In that case one could communicate with entanglement using only one pair at a time rather than a sequence of pulsed ensembles of N >> 1 pairs. For example, "Uri Geller" could go to Monte Carlo and play dice and win every time - a clear example of the idea.



Henry Stapp summarizes the gist of quantum mechanics thus: "things that could have occurred but didn't, influence the things that do occur."

AKA "CFD"

But something HAS occured here. You have put or removed a piece of experimental equipment.
Something has indeed happened here. But something also has not happened. Nature has not made the Dirac choice. So the value that might have been displayed does not yet exist. Tho we may have deployed the which-path apparatus, there is no one pre-existing which-path value. In fact, at any time before a Dirac choice occurs (on the part of the entangled photon) we can change our mind and deploy another PHYSICAL APPARATUS that selects interfering subsets--a choice which will show that the interfering photons took both paths.

e.g. Marlan Scully's "quantum eraser"

It is almost as tho you don't have to act to change a quantum system--the MERE THREAT OF ACTING can do so.

It depends on what do you mean by "quantum system". If the pieces of experimental equipment count as parts of the quantum system,
then you DO NEED to change the quantum system.

Agreed, the Heisenberg choice (implied threat) must involve a physical act. It cannot just occur in the mind.

Right.


The second fact about this threat is that it makes no difference how it would be carried out--using machines or conscious awareness--
any way of recording that knowledge is as good as any other for carrying out this threat. Which of course need never be carried out.
It seems to me that there is some way of formulating this insight better--to say that in this particular situation, the mere possibility of
recording "which path information" REGARDLESS OF HOW THAT RECORDING IS PERFORMED can be construed to mean that quantum mechanics
itself gives consciousness no special role.

It is well known that machines can influence the wave function.
(That's why the pieces of experimental equipment do what they do,
as I repeated above.) In principle, the brain can influence the wave function too. (In fact, in
http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/1006.0338
I have argued that this implies that nonlocal entanglement can,
in principle, be used for a sort of superluminal communication.)
However, I have no idea how conscious awareness itself,
except as a PHYSICAL CONFIGURATION OF THE BRAIN, could
influence the wave function.

Thanks for the reference. I have been studying alleged FTL quantum communication for 40 years and have devised dozen of schemes for using entanglement to accomplish this.***

Surprise. I think I'm back on your side.
I will keep playing with these concepts till they get clearer.

Do my comments help?

Best regards,
Hrvoje Nikolic
...

***All indisputably refuted, of course. If your proposal is more than some facile attribution of quantum non-locality to biological systems--IE, if your proposal is as definite as a Heisenberg choice,
I would love to have a try at refuting it.

Easy. So the claim is that e.g. LHC & other BIG PHYSICS experimental claims can be trusted and the one's below are all fraudulent and should be rejected as pseudo-physics whilst string theory is real physics for example? Let's be clear, isn't that the underlying text?

 
Dr. Harold E. Puthoff (Remote Viewing) From the Secret Life of ...
Dr. Harold E. Puthoff at The Arlington Institute Speaks of the ... The Early Days at SRI CIA-Initiated Remote Viewing Program at Stanford Research Institute ...
www.ebdir.net/enlighten/puthoff.html - Cached
CIA-Initiated Remote Viewing At Stanford Research Institute ... - 4 visits - Jul 9
by HE Puthoff - Cited by 4 - Related articles
As a result of the material being generated by both SRI and CIA remote viewers, .... [21] H. E. Puthoff, "ARV (Associational Remote Viewing) Applications," ...
www.biomindsuperpowers.com/Pages/CIA-InitiatedRV.html - Cached - Similar
SRI International - Remote Viewing
In the 1970s and 1980s SRI was contracted by a U.S. government agency to ... of the Art inRemote Viewing Studies," Proceedings of the IEEE, Targ, Puthoff, ...
www.sri.com/about/remoteview.html - Cached - Similar
Remoteviewed.com - Hal Puthoff - Remote-Viewed
Remote Viewers: The Secret History of America's Psychic Spies: Chapter on Puthoff'sbackground, Pages 83-97; Puthoff joins SRI in 1969, p. ...
www.remoteviewed.com/remote_viewing_halputhoff.htm - Cached - Similar

[PDF] ANOMALOUS ANTICIPATORY BRAIN ACTIVATION PRECEDING EXPOSURE OF ...
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View
by A ANTICIPATORY - Related articles
Dick J. Bierman and H. Steven Scholte ..... Bierman, D. J. & Radin, D. I. (1997) . Anomalous anticipatory response on randomized future conditions. ...
www.quantumconsciousness.org/pdfs/presentiment.pdf - Similar
Time Flies (Backwards?) - Quantum Consciousness
To investigate these possibilities, Dean Radin and Dick Bierman have performed a number of experiments of emotional response in human subjects. ...
www.quantumconsciousness.org/views/TimeFlies.html - Cached - Similar
Dick Bierman - dr. D.J. (Dick) Bierman - University of Amsterdam - 4 visits - Apr 23
This is the homepage of Dick J Bierman at the University of Amsterdam.
home.medewerker.uva.nl/d.j.bierman/ - Cached - Similar
Toward a Science of Consciousness 3: Conscious and Anomalous ...
by DJ Bierman - Cited by 16 - Related articles
Dick J. Bierman and Dean Radin. Two previous experiments have been reported .....Bierman, D. J., and D. I. Radin. 1997. Anomalous Anticipatory Response on ...
cognet.mit.edu/posters/TUCSON3/BiermanRadin.html - Cached - Similar
Toward a science of consciousness III: the third Tucson ... - Google Books Result
Stuart R. Hameroff, Alfred W. Kaszniak, David John Chalmers - 1999 - Psychology - 504 pages
Dick J. Bierman and Dean Radin Two previous experiments have been reported ... classical explanations for presponse but concluded that these do not apply. ...
books.google.com/books?isbn=0262581817...
[PDF] ANOMALOUS ANTICIPATORY RESPONSE ON RANDOMIZED FUTURE CONDITIONS ...
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View
by DJ BIERMAN - Cited by 79 - Related articles
ANOMALOUS ANTICIPATORY RESPONSE ON RANDOMIZED FUTURE. CONDITIONS.DICK J. BIERMAN & DEAN I. RADIN. University of Amsterdam & University of Nevada ...
m0134.fmg.uva.nl/publications/1997/anticip_pms97.pdf - Similar
Princeton Engineering Anomalies Research Lab - Wikipedia, the free ...
In these experiments, subjects attempted to mentally alter the distribution of the random ....a b c "Princeton's PEAR Laboratory to Close". Princeton.edu. ...
Research - Closing of the laboratory - Staff - Spin-offs
en.wikipedia.org/.../Princeton_Engineering_Anomalies_Research_Lab - Cached - Similar
PEAR - Publications - Princeton University
by RG Jahn - Cited by 3 - Related articles
For further information, contact the PEAR laboratory at info@icrl.org.) ... A Linear PendulumExperiment: Effects of Operator Intention on Damping Rate ...
www.princeton.edu/~pear/publications.html - Cached - Similar
PEAR - Research Activities - Princeton University
The most substantial portion of the PEAR experimental program examines anomalies ... Over the laboratory's 27-year history, thousands of such experiments, ...
www.princeton.edu/~pear/human_machine.html - Cached - Similar
Show more results from www.princeton.edu
Princeton [PEAR] Remote-Viewing Experiments -- A Critique
by GP Hansen - 1992 - Cited by 13 - Related articles
The PEAR remote-viewing experiments depart from commonly accepted criteria for ....Princeton, NJ: Engineering Anomalies Research Laboratory, School of ...
www.tricksterbook.com/ArticlesOnline/PEARCritique.htm - Cached - Similar
The Princeton Engineering Anomalies Research (PEAR) - The ...
Feb 23, 2009 ... The PEAR lab shut down in February 2007 to a yawning scientific ... The subjects in the PEAR experiments tried to use their minds to produce ...
www.skepdic.com/pear.html - Cached - Similar
Princeton's PEAR Study
Mar 26, 2007 ... The studies and results of the Princeton Engineering Anomalies Research (PEAR) laboratory have been a major stimulus and source of ...
www.energy-medicine.info/pear-study.html - Cached - Similar
Princeton's PEAR lab closing
16 posts - 1 author - Last post: Feb 11
Princeton's PEAR lab closing Scepticism & Debunking discussion. ... No matter the results, as long as the experiments done over the years ...
www.physicsforums.com › ... › Scepticism & Debunking - Cached - Similar
REG Design
PEAR REG We begin with the PEAR type REG, which is one of the devices developed for ...research at the Princeton Engineering Anomalies Research (PEAR) laboratory. ... The original "benchmark" experiment used a commercial random source ...
noosphere.princeton.edu/reg.html - Cached - Similar
Psyleron - Introduction to the PEAR Lab
The Princeton Engineering Anomalies Research (PEAR) Lab was founded in 1979 by Robert G. ... All the experiments at the lab were conducted using volunteers, ...
www.psyleron.com/pearIntro.aspx - Cached - Similar
Global Consciousness Project -- consciousness, group consciousness ...
Scientific research network studying global consciousness: Description, Specifications, Data Access, Results.
Hatching an egg - Daily Movies - Data Access - FAQ
noosphere.princeton.edu/ - Cached - Similar
Global Consciousness Project Home Page
The Global Consciousness Project (GCP) is an international effort involving researchers from several institutions and countries, designed to explore whether ...
noosphere.princeton.edu/intro_bottom.html - Cached - Similar
Show more results from noosphere.princeton.edu
Global Consciousness Project - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Global Consciousness Project (GCP, also called the EGG Project) is a parapsychology experiment begun in 1998, described as an attempt to detect ...
Background - Research - Criticism - See also
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Consciousness_Project - Cached - Similar
Global Consciousness Project Dot
The Global Consciousness Project collects random numbers from around the world and are downloaded once a minute and subjected to sophisticated data analyses ...
gcpdot.com/ - Cached - Similar
Videos for global consciousness project


Dean Radin: The Global Consciousness Project
10 min - Feb 15, 2008
Uploaded by globaloneness
youtube.com


Global Consciousness Project(GCP)
3 min - Jul 28, 2008
Uploaded by rdnelson
youtube.com
Global Consciousness Project -Trans-Humanity Awakening To Reality ...
Jan 23, 2009 ... The Global Consciousness Project (GCP) was created in 1998 by a small team of researchers working in boundary areas of physics and ...
www.nowpublic.com/.../global-consciousness-project-trans-humanity- awakening-reality -Cached - Similar
91. Global Consciousness Project Welcomes Collaboration With ...
Jan 16, 2010 ... When it comes to claims of a global consciousness linking us all to tragedies like the earthquake in Haiti, or the terrorist attacks of 9/11 ...
www.skeptiko.com/91-global-consciousness-project-welcomes-collaboration- with-skeptics/- Cached - Similar
Dashboard Widgets - Global Conscious.com
This real-time widget pulls data from the Global Consciousness Project and performs statistics on the data to produce an indicator for the resonance and ...
www.globalconscious.com/dashboard/ - Cached - Similar
View - redOrbit
Sep 17, 2010 ... Loading... Mars500 Video Diary 6. What Can The Tuatara Tell Us About False Teeth ? Scientists Closer to Re-Growing Spines ...
www.redorbit.com/news/display/ - Cached - Similar
Global Consciousness Project
The Global Consciousness Project, also called the EGG Project, ... A project in Princeton University called Global Consciousness Project is created to study ...
www.experiencefestival.com/global_consciousness_project - Cached - Similar







Sep 20

Henry Stapp's formulation of Bell's theorem.

Posted by: JackSarfatti |
Tagged in: Untagged 

From Facebook
Cap'n Jack Sarfatti Frank Tipler's latest paper on nonlocality as evidence for a multiverse http://bit.ly/9AtCTb
'bout 23 turn o' yer hourglass ago from the port o' AutoTweet Connector · Weigh in · Arr!
John Gribbin an Leslie Mitts find this pleasin' to the eye.
Jonathan Vos Post What have experts said in the month since he published: "I show that observations of quantum nonlocality can be interpreted as purely local phenomena, provided one assumes that the cosmos is a multiverse. Conversely, the observation of quantum nonlocality can be interpreted as observation evidence for a multiverse cosmology, just as observation of the setting of the Sun can be interpreted as evidence for the Earth's rotation."? What do you really think about this? Is he driven by his religious noosphere omega point agenda? Or is the theory valid?
'bout 23 turn o' yer hourglass ago · Arr! · Jack Sarfatti Murray Gell-Mann makes similar argument in the quark and the jaguar book - it applies only to Max Tegmark's Level 3 - it's fairly well known. Not much new there.
'bout 23 turn o' yer hourglass ago · Arr! · Jack Sarfatti Also Henry Stapp discusses it. As I recall, the many-worlds theory i.e. Level III in Max Tegmark's classification violates CFD (Counter Factual Definiteness) and therefore is consistent with locality. This is because Stapp professes that an equivalent formulation of Bell's theorem is that the statistical predictions of quantum theory are incompatible with both CFD and locality.
4 shots o' rum ago · Arr! ·

Click here.

Signal nonlocality means that quantum entanglement can be used as a communication channel without needing an auxilliary classical signal to unlock the message from the receiver that is stored nonlocally in the entanglement from encoding by the sender. This violates quantum theory, which demands that any local measurement of only one part of the entangled system must look like random noise without any coherent modulation envelope that carries the encoded message. Ordinary consciousness is not possible without signal nonlocality in my opinion. -- Jack Sarfatti


On Sep 20, 2010, at 12:19 AM, nick herbert wrote:

Yu Shan & Danko--

After thinking over your argument I am beginning to believe that it has some merit.

One of the oddest facts about experiments of this kind is that the mere possibility of gaining "which-path" information will prevent interference from occurring. You do not have to actually carry out the "which-path" observation. Henry Stapp summarizes the gist of quantum mechanics thus: "things that could have occurred but didn't, influence the things that do occur."

It is almost as tho you don't have to act to change a quantum system--the MERE THREAT OF ACTING can do so.

The second fact about this threat is that it makes no difference how it would be carried out--using machines or conscious awareness-- any way of recording that knowledge is as good as any other for carrying out this threat. Which of course need never be carried out.
It seems to me that there is some way of formulating this insight better--to say that in this particular situation, the mere possibility of recording "which path information" REGARDLESS OF HOW THAT RECORDING IS PERFORMED can be construed to mean that quantum mechanics itself gives consciousness no special role.

I am sure that there is some better way of formulating this. It is the same argument you are making but from a slightly different perspective because it does not deal with real measurements but only with the possibility of making measurements.

Surprise. I think I'm back on your side.
I will keep playing with these concepts till they get clearer.

Thanks again for a most stimulating exchange.

Nick Herbert


On Sep 19, 2010, at 9:01 AM, Yu Shan wrote:

Nonetheless I think it is good to do experiments for which 'the
outcome can already be inferred on the basis of existing theoretical
frameworks' because when the outcome is different that really tells us

I agree. It's the reason that we cite the actual experiments to show
that there is no interference, rather than giving theoretical argument
only.


On Sep 20, 2010, at 2:13 AM, Hrvoje Nikolic wrote:

Hi Nick, Yu, and Danko!

I agreed with the first objection by Nick in his first e-mail, but I would like to make some comments on these last comments by Nick.


"One of the oddest facts about experiments of this kind is that the mere possibility of gaining "which-path" information will prevent interference from occurring. You do not have to actually carry out the "which-path" observation."

But in order to ACHIEVE the possibility of gaining "which-path" information, you MUST do something PHYSICAL. Namely, you need to put or remove some piece of experimental equipment. It is THIS PHYSICAL change that makes the physical system different.


Henry Stapp summarizes the gist of quantum mechanics thus: "things that could have occurred but didn't, influence the things that do occur."

But something HAS occurred here. You have put or removed a piece of experimental equipment.

"It is almost as tho you don't have to act to change a quantum system--the MERE THREAT OF ACTING can do so."

It depends on what do you mean by "quantum system". If the pieces of experimental equipment count as parts of the quantum system, then you DO NEED to change the quantum system.

"The second fact about this threat is that it makes no difference how it would be carried out--using machines or conscious awareness-- any way of recording that knowledge is as good as any other for carrying out this threat. Which of course need never be carried out.
It seems to me that there is some way of formulating this insight better--to say that in this particular situation, the mere possibility of recording "which path information" REGARDLESS OF HOW THAT RECORDING IS PERFORMED can be construed to mean that quantum mechanics itself gives consciousness no special role."

It is well known that machines can influence the wave function.
(That's why the pieces of experimental equipment do what they do,
as I repeated above.) In principle, the brain can influence the wave function too. (In fact, in
http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/1006.0338
I have argued that this implies that nonlocal entanglement can, in principle, be used for a sort of superluminal communication.)
However, I have no idea how conscious awareness itself, except as a PHYSICAL CONFIGURATION OF THE BRAIN, could influence the wave function.
...

Best regards,
Hrvoje Nikolic

The real issue is whether quantum mechanics applies macroscopically. I think this is a basic error because of P.W. Anderson's "More is different," i.e. large scale phenomena are not described by a linear unitary Schrodinger-Dirac-etc. equation in an entangled configuration space of ~ 2^10^123 dimensions. Rather, because of post-inflation spontaneous symmetry breaking we live in a multi-layered multi-colored vacuum "superconductor" with a set of LOCAL ORDER PARAMETERs described in Frank Wilczek's "Lightness of Being." Indeed, I have shown how Einstein's curved spacetime is emergent from EIGHT QCD gluon Goldstone phases that are potentials for the gravity tetrad/spin connection c-number fields of our local spacetime. The macro-quantum coherent LOCAL reality of general relativity is described by a set of Cartan zero form potentials with ~ 10^123 topological singularities on our future event horizon hologram screen (Bohm-Aharonov effects for gravity field) described by a low energy effective set of Higgs-Goldstone c-number scalar fields that obey a non-unitary, nonlinear LOCAL Landau-Ginzburg class of equation in which there is no P = |Psi|^2 probability rule (it is there for the quantum noise of course that couples to the c-number vacuum ODLRO fields)

That is, "More is different"

Search Results
Philip Warren Anderson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... and "Philip W. Anderson" redirect here. For the film editor, see Philip W. Anderson(editor). ... Anderson, P.W. (1972). "More is Different" (). ...
Biography - Publications - Notes - References
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Warren_Anderson - Cached - Similar
Ong, N. and Bhatt, R., eds.: More is Different: Fifty Years of ...
Jul 25, 2010 ... Description of the book More is Different: Fifty Years of ... The articles are authored by Philip W. Anderson, Per Bak and Kan Chen, ...
press.princeton.edu/titles/7103.html - Cached
[PDF] More Is Different P. W. Anderson Science, New Series, Vol. 177, No ...
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View
by PW Anderson - Cited by 1017 - Related articles
More Is Different. P. W. Anderson. Science, New Series, Vol. 177, No. 4047. (Aug . ... more information regarding JSTOR, please contact support@jstor.org. ...
robotics.cs.tamu.edu/dshell/cs689/.../anderson72more_is_different.pdf - Similar

Now, whether or not my particular model outlined above works is not the point here. I could be wrong. What I say, unlike the theological counting of strings and membranes, is Popper falsifiable. Tipler might be wrong in his basic assumption and so might I. If I am right, then the 'tHooft/Susskind solution of black hole information physics would need to be reexamined since a unitary S-Matrix for horizons in general becomes dubious. My point is to ask the right questions and not accept dogmas like the universal validity of orthodox quantum theory outside its battle-tested domain of validity.

One does not need quantum nonlocality for a multi-verse - classical general relativity allows a multiverse at Tegmark's Levels 1 & 2. Tipler assumes Level 3 and that is what I argue against.




On Sep 19, 2010, at 10:35 AM, Gary S. Bekkum wrote:

http://arxiv.org/pdf/1008.2764v1

Nonlocality as Evidence for a Multiverse Cosmology
Frank J. Tipler
(Submitted on 16 Aug 2010)
I show that observations of quantum nonlocality can be interpreted as purely local phenomena, provided one assumes that the cosmos is a multiverse. Conversely, the observation of quantum nonlocality can be interpreted as observation evidence for a multiverse cosmology, just as observation of the setting of the Sun can be interpreted as evidence for the Earth's rotation.

Gary S Bekkum